Hot takes on Intel's Apple fanboy ad (video)

From the comments to "Breaking the Spell: Social Experiment" posted Monday on YouTube.

First the video:

Viewers wrote:

• This company has become a whiny toddler…
  • There is only one slight problem: by default it runs windows.
  • Not everyone in California is this stupid and annoying.
  • Intel's marketing team is just pure cringe.
  • A true Apple Fanboy would never declare their love for Apple so openly and freely
  • Jeez... can you say "scripted"??
  • This ad just makes intel look stupid
  • There are MacBooks still powered by Intel. But they suck now compared to M1, of course.
  • 3 months later; viruses, out of date device drivers, conflicting OS installation files causing crashes. Etc etc. No thanks. Been there done that many times.
  • one thing this ads forgot is the very thing the fanboys just told them - they're loyal to apple!
  • It’s all fun and games until you get the Windows blue screen of death
  • This video is awesome example of how to not do customer interviews
  • Where can I send the Surface for the RAM upgrade again, I think i missed it
  • The fact that someone at Intel genuinely thought this was a good idea and an entire team who shot and edited this didn't tell them otherwise is just sad.

My take: Ads like this make me appreciate Apple's marketing team all the more.

1. Bart Yee said:
    A few other comments:
    “In all of my years of using Intel,even including childhood running Win95/98 and XP, this has to be the worst ad campaign I’ve ever seen.
    Did Intel hire Chevy’s marketing team?”

“As a PC user for over 20 years, and a new Mac user, the performance and battery life of the M1 products cannot be beaten by any Intel product. Relatively priced or not.”

“They’re showing this because the next M1X chip from Apple is coming this month or next month.”

“Congratulations Intel. You played yourselves.”

October 5, 2021
  2. Greg Lippert said:
    Ha! I can see some of those actors changing out their own RAM!

October 5, 2021
    This is a poorly planned assault on one’s intelligence. I couldn’t watch to the end.

October 5, 2021
  4. Hugh Lovell said:
    I stopped watching as soon as I heard the phrase “Apple fans”.

October 5, 2021
  5. John Konopka said:
    I think “loyalty” is the wrong term to use about Apple customers. I’ve had a little training in the area of compliance. The thumbnail version is that as people we can’t stop and do a deep analysis every minute about what to do next. We employ lots of short cuts, some instinctual, some learned.

A simple example is deference to the trappings of authority. A man in a police uniform standing in the street directing traffic is much more believable than someone dressed for jogging. You don’t have to stop and check their IDs, you just follow the directions of the policeman.

I suspect now that much of the population has learned that Apple is a safe bet. You don’t have to be an engineer and study specifications and read all the tech websites. The safe way to spend your money on a smartphone is to buy an iPhone. Maybe Cialdini would call this social proof.

A related story is that researchers setup the donut display in a coffee shop with all full trays and one tray had just a few donuts. As one was sold it was replaced. The nearly empty tray outsold the others. People who were unsure of what to get got that one because they figured most people were buy it.

Robert Cialdini

A quick summary of his work:

October 5, 2021
  6. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    Somebody watched it?!!! It’s sad, really, when a once mighty and innovative enterprise succumbs in near desperation to cheap shots about one of their own customers. Yet another shameful example of Apple envy.

My response to Intel: Please get to work on impactful new ideas. Remember Andy Grove?

October 5, 2021
    Intel’s fate was sealed when it aligned itself to the least innovative technology company of the 20th century. MSFT’s success was predicated on selling cheap OS for use on cheap hardware.

Intel bought into the philosophy and is now paying the price.

How did MSFT doom Intel? MSFT never modernized is Frankenstein of an OS, locking Intel into a Frankenstein processor architecture.

October 5, 2021
  8. Michael Goldfeder said:
    I started off using Intel computers and got tired of the forced upgrades with the Microsoft operating system. Then having to buy another computer.

Once I transitioned to Apple devices, the seamless of use and automatic transitions to all of my devices when I entered information on one was just phenomenal.

Windows based devices have been left in the dust and this commercial just reinforces the old adage that: “imitation is the sincerely form of flattery.”

October 6, 2021