CNET: WTF is Apple TV+?

From Joan E. Solsman’s “Ted Lasso won a pile of Emmys. So WTF actually is Apple TV Plus?” posted Monday:

Every Apple TV Plus title, including Ted Lasso, is available to all subscribers. Apple TV Plus only has a single $5-a-month tier, and it unlocks its full catalog of original programming.

But unlike Netflix and other subscription streaming services, Apple TV Plus doesn’t have its own dedicated app. Apple TV Plus programming resides inside Apple’s TV app, which overall serves as a hub to watch programming from other video subscriptions and to rent or buy movies and shows a la carte. That can be a little confusing, but the TV app has a tab dedicated just to Apple TV Plus originals, so you can find all the originals in one place without other kinds of stuff that requires separate payments.

Apple’s TV app (and, by extension, Apple TV Plus) is available on:

• Apple devices that can stream video including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV streaming boxes,
    • iPod Touch and Macs
    • Roku
    • Amazon Fire TV
    • Android TV
    • Google TV
    • Xbox
    • PlayStation
    • Samsung smart TVs
    • LG smart TVs
    • Vizio smart TVs
    • Sony smart TVs
    • Apple TV Plus is also available to watch on the web at tv.apple.com.

My take:  I’m surprised how long that list has grown. On the other hand, I’d have to be pretty desperate to watch Apple TV+ through my Samsung smart TV’s stupid interface.

1. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    In our home, Apple TV is “Grand Central Television.” All content flows through the app, including Apple TV+. Whenever possible, content subscriptions are purchased through the app. This streamlines purchases and renewals while providing for 3% cash back through the Goldman Sachs Apple Card. If “the medium is the message,” Apple TV delivers the message just right.

September 20, 2021
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Robert Paul Leitao —

I pipe everything through my TV also. Cut the cord long ago, albeit somewhat nervous that one simply couldn’t survive without live TV in their life.

Got over that REAL quick when it became obvious with streaming that whoever gave people WHAT they want, WHERE they want, WHEN they want through the big, fat internet pipe would reign.

A potent entertainment and information play now that the audience is billions of people around the world.

September 20, 2021
      • Robert Paul Leitao said:
        Kirk: I “cut the cord” several years ago and the cumulative net savings over the years is now approaching five figures. Additionally, all the content available through Apple TV is available across our Apple devices at home and when away from home. You make a compelling point. Apple is an “entertainment and information play” beyond the grossly overlooked value of Apple TV+ content. All paid subscriptions for other streaming services purchased through the Apple TV app generate revenue for Apple.

September 20, 2021
        I pipe everything through my TV also. Cut the cord long ago,

Now imagine an AppleTV, Macs, and a reissued Airport Extreme/Express all with 5G connectivity.

Who wouldn’t buy an Airport Extreme/Express equipped with a 5G booster for indoor use? It wouldn’t matter what Apple charged for it, within a year (after cutting the last cord) you’d save money (and get better performance).

September 20, 2021
        • Fred Stein said:
          Nice – connecting all the dots (or rather intersecting all the venn diagram ellipses).

September 22, 2021
    • Hugh Lovell said:
      Am I right in thinking that I could cancel my HBOMax, Netflix and other subs, then restart them via the links in Apple TV+? Would I then be able to delete their apps from my home screen (or at least gather them into a folder)? I would expect that maybe Amazon Prime would still have be through Amazon. Then I’d get 3% cash back via Apple Card. Am I missing something?

September 20, 2021
      • Kirk DeBernardi said:
        @ Hugh Lovell —

To my understanding, if you have subscriptions that are able to go through the Apple TV subscription interface, and you use your Apple Card to pay for those subscriptions, then yes, you would get your 3% for your subs.

On the deleting of apps representing each of your subscriptions, you would have to leave those in place as that would be how you will continue to access their content.

September 22, 2021
        All you have to do is change your payment to Apple Card to get your Apple Card discount. Accessing you subscriptions then could occur through the provider’s app, or through the AppleTV app.

September 22, 2021
    • David Drinkwater said:
      I commented at work today in a different context:

“Maybe Lucifer’s Hammer has already fallen and nobody noticed.”

Here I think:

“Maybe Apple already “cracked the TV Code” and nobody noticed.”

September 22, 2021
  2. Robert Stack said:
    My take: WTF is CNET?? 🙂

September 20, 2021
    • David Drinkwater said:
      Ancient internet history.
      At least give them some credit for being pioneers.
      Kinda like AOL. Oh, wait, does anybody else remember Prodigy? Or Internet Relay Chat? 😉

September 21, 2021
    • Fred Stein said:
      OMG YES

Apple has wide long-range view, just like the new iPhones. CNET has tunnel vision.

September 22, 2021
  3. “Finally threw out my 28.8 baud modem. BBS & Dial up are not coming back ever since Mosaic browser came out…” Mr. Drinkwater I believe you initiated a flashback. “This was only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news, or instructions. You are now being returned to your regular broadcast network.” Kids actually knew what ICBMs were in those days.

September 21, 2021