Apple gets dinged

Competitors are ganging up on Apple for the iPhone 12’s accessory-free launch.

From Mashable’s “Samsung, Xiaomi, and OnePlus make fun of Apple for not shipping a charger with the iPhone,”

Well, this didn’t take very long.

My take: Fair enough.

Samsung, Xiaomi and OnePlus soon will be following the established corps d’elite of corporations by doing similarly. Samsung did with the headphone jack and if a company is sincere about going green, then that is compelling reason enough to follow the Apple trend setter. I have over a half dozen chargers lying around my home, one in the car and another in my gym bag.

October 16, 2020
    No one will switch from iOS to Android to get a “free” charger they don’t need.

One the topic of chargers, Joanna Stern has a humorous and useful post on this topic.

October 16, 2020
  3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Think of the many times Apple supposedly pulled the rug out from underneath customers only to end up pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

October 16, 2020
  4. Bart Yee said:
    As soon as Apple make accessory free a really accepted thing, other Android makers will see the environmental and cost savings too and pull theirs as well. I predict within 2 years we’ll see at least 3 major and 2 minor Android players cut either or both chargers and earbuds on some of their models. Heck, the EU may even mandate it.

October 16, 2020
    Heck, the EU may even mandate it.

I can practically guarantee that as soon as the EU sees a major player do it, the EU will mandate it.

Frankly I see this development as a good thing.

October 16, 2020
  6. Rodney Avilla said:
    Although I am not sure how significant this situation is, I did send a note to Apple:
    “Are you aware of how many people who buy a new iPhone will not be able to plug in their charging cable?”

And what about the people who are first time buyers (not an insignificant number) and don’t have old cables laying around, they may not even have a way to charge it?

I (and spouse) have 1 mac pro, 2 iMacs, 1 mac book pro, 2 iPhones, and numerous usb outlets, wireless chargers, but I don’t have an usb-c converter. So our new iPhones will not go uncharged, but I have no use for the supplied cables, at least until I order a converter.

October 16, 2020
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Rodney Avilla —

I really scratched my head on this iPhone 12 included cord dilemma too, Rodney.

Where they talked in the presentation about “most of the world” having too many chargers, these assuredly are the ol’ school USB, NOT the current USB-C.

We all begrudgingly or eagerly march into the future with connectivity eventually, but this is a strong assumption on Apple’s behalf to think that the majority of the world has already switched to or will soon be USB-C capable.

As your personal experience has illustrated — a definite hiccup moment and a tad puzzling.

October 16, 2020
      • David Drinkwater said:
        Get a USB-C Charger (wall plug) and a USB-C to Lightning Cable. The benefits are glorious. You phone will charge in *no time*. I speciously think of my USB-C wall plug as a “supercharger”. It’s that fast to charge my iPhone or iPad.

In my living room, I have the USB-C “brick” that goes with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports). That has a 2 meter USB-C to USB-C Cable and a USB-C to Lightning Cable next to it to cover whichever toy I need to charge. When I go on vacation, that trio of cables goes into my backpack.

In my kitchen/Dining room, I have cables set to charge both the laptop and my phone simultaneously. Those never leave the house.

It’s . Just . Not . That . Difficult.

The greater challenge that I am working on today is to move from an FM transmitter (which generally sucks, but has been necessary in the wide wilderness of Texas and, more recently, Arkansas and Oklahoma) to a 30-Pin to Lightning to Female Lightning to Male Lightning Cable to try to properly connect my iPhone X (Lightning) to my 2004 Bimmer.

That . Is . A . Pain . In . The ….

October 17, 2020