I’m driving to Cleveland

Molly had a baby and I’m a grandad, on grandad duty for a week.

apple cleveland 8-1I’ll plug back into the Apple newsflow when the baby is asleep.

My take: I went to college near Cleveland, and one thing or another keeps pulling me back.

See also:

1. Joe Murphy said:
    Enjoy the moment(s).

It’s funny how our history keeps pulling us back.

It’s the same place but from In a new perspective.

August 1, 2020
  2. Joe Murphy said:
    It’s a wonderful picture. He looks so happy.

Pictures like this pull me back.

August 1, 2020
  3. Bart Yee said:
    Grandson looks very cute and happy! Hope you enjoy your week with him and the family. BTW, I heard this on ESPN Los Angeles because Steve Mason (from Mason and Ireland) and his newest producer Lindsey are both from Ohio. Any truth (tongue in cheek) to this song? 🙂

August 1, 2020
  4. Bill Haymaker said:
    And I thought we had a great week! Congrats Grandpa. Have fun!

August 1, 2020
  5. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    CONGRATZ, Philip! A dream come true! That baby’s smile is infectious. Must know AAPL’s share price 🙂

August 1, 2020
  6. Steven Philips said:
    Yup! Great timing! 🙂
    Best wishes to all.

August 1, 2020
    Congratulations. Adorable boy.

August 1, 2020
    Bless you and your family my good man! Charming looking baby picture and knowing the new baby will bring tears of joy to all. Send us a pic of the new born 🙂

August 1, 2020
  9. George Ewonus said:
    Have a wonderful time, Philip!

August 2, 2020
  10. David Drinkwater said:
    Cleveland must be a bit like Ithaca, a black hole that keeps calling people back.

Since you have a reason to make the trip more than once, may I suggest alternating your route? During the three and a half years that my bed was in Lubbock, but my heart was still in Dallas, I did find a few ways to vary the trip. In general, it was worthwhile.

If all you want to do by car is “get there” then I-90 (AKA NY State Thru-Way / MASS Turnpike) is the obvious choice. And Apple Maps seems to like a route through the middle of Pennsylvania as an alternate. I never really dippped that far south, but/and/or so I can’t speak against it, but as a New York State Upstater, I think I-88 which passes though Oneonta (Soccer Hall of Fame) is a very fine option. Cooperstown hosts the Baseball Hall of Fame.

If you *really* want to waste time, turn “right” in Bainbridge and take state route 206/79 toward Ithaca (hi Mom!).

Route 17 is also a nice path through the Southern Tier of New York.

There is quite good adult beverage tourism to be done along the way, too (e.g. Brewery Ommegang), but if your intent is to arrive in Cleveland, that might cause some delays.

I cannot recommend Upstate New York highly enough.

August 2, 2020
    • David Drinkwater said:
      Oh, oh … !!! Just even going between Greenfield and Troy/Albany, there are phenomenal options. The Williams College campus in Williamstown is *strikingly* beautiful, but that’s probably a better day trip for you. Or could also take what I considered to be the “northern route” from Concord, NH, to Ithaca, NY, and travel through Bennington, VT. That’s a really nice route, too.

And maybe, you should intentionally book one of those trips in Fall, when the Sugar Maples are all manner of orange, yellow and red (Hail, all Hail Cornell!)

Yeah, I digress. …