2,000 San Francisco hospital workers getting iPhone-connected smart rings

From San Francisco Chronicle’s “Predicting coronavirus? SF emergency workers wear state-of-the-art rings in new study“:

At least 2,000 San Francisco emergency medical workers will begin wearing rings this week that track their body temperature and other vital signs in a first-of-its-kind study to try to identify the early onset of COVID-19 and help curb its spread.

In addition to UCSF Medical Center and Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital staff wearing the devices, UCSF also started a campaign Monday to ask the Oura Ring’s approximately 150,000 users to share their medical data in hopes that researchers can develop an algorithm that could detect the earliest stages of coronavirus, before symptoms manifest.

My take: The perfect accessory for a pandemic. $299 in silver or black, $999 with diamonds.

Well, I presume the Apple unveiling of a new hardware product to come now is official. No concealment, no subterfuge or no high level deception necessary for this one.

My take: When can I get mine?

March 25, 2020
    • Bart Yee said:

Seems to me Apple Watch users (also a lot of healthcare professionals) could pool their vitals data as well (heart rate goes up during fever, even if resting) so that algorithms and studies could be done for tested positive patients.

March 25, 2020

When the word gets out about these things they will instantly go into backorder. Is Oura Ring publicly traded? I can’t find it.

March 25, 2020
    • Fred Stein said:

They’re in crunchbase. A great resource.

March 25, 2020
  3. Alan Birnbaum said:

As a jeweler’s son, how can a proper fit be obtained to get a good fit to properly get vital signs that can be of use (a watch band get the wrist correctly) ? I guess using ring beads or insert.

March 25, 2020
  4. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:

It’s alluring enough for me to want to buy one to add to my own health tracking. Plus very curious to see how well it integrates with IPhone, Watch, Apple Health & the health challenge apps I’m using. There’s a Work-At-Home exercise challenge for next month as a good use case for me. Hope buying one (fitting kit supposed to be next day delivery) doesn’t steal from UCSF’s order priority!

March 25, 2020
  5. Mordechai Beizer said:

Fascinating. I just ordered one mostly out of curiosity to see how well it works. I don’t wear the Apple Watch to sleep because that’s when I charge it and I don’t think I would be comfortable wearing it at night. The ring is supposed to last for several days on a charge. I know my sleeping habits suck, maybe this will help. The whole health-monitoring thing is such an opportunity for Apple and other companies.

@Romeo, I doubt that Oura would let individual orders interfere with this opportunity at UCSF.

March 25, 2020
  6. Aaron Belich said:

Thanks, but I’ll wait for Apple’s version.

March 25, 2020