Like Jen and Reese, I’m going to Cupertino March 25

Booked my flights. Found an Airbnb. Headed for the Steve Jobs theater.

It’s been nearly a month since the Hollywood Reporter broke the news that Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston and J.J. Abrams had received invitations to a March 25 event at the Steve Jobs Theater.

Others no doubt followed. Mine came today.

The e-invite’s GIF—an old-fashioned B&W film-reel countdown—gives away the show. We’re finally going to find out what Apple’s Hollywood heavyweights have got up their sleeves, both in terms of the content they’ve been working on and the platform on which it will be released.

I’m not going to speculate. I’m just going to show up early and try to keep my star-struck eyes on the ball.

1. David Drinkwater said:

Horace Dediu reports via Twitter that he will be there, too.

March 11, 2019
  2. Jonathan Mackenzie said:

I’ll speculate… whatever Apple announces will be widely panned. Over time, opinion will grudgingly shift towards positive. But of course I’m basing this on every announcement Apple has made since Jobs died.

March 11, 2019
    • John Konopka said:

“But of course I’m basing this on every announcement Apple has made since Jobs died.”

Even a lot of announcements that came when Steve was with us. I recall that the iPod mini was widely panned, then sold like hot cakes.

March 11, 2019
      • David Drinkwater said:

Oh, the anti-iPhone screed was deafening. Look how that worked out.

There was some real classical denial around this.

e.g. daringfireball dot net/2006/11/colligan_head_stuck

The list is Loooong. And I am way to lazy to dig it all up.

March 11, 2019
        • George Row said:

And
          “iMac – who will buy a computer with no floppy disc drive? And no way to an external SCSI Drive?”;
          “IPod? They are way too late launching an overpriced device into the mature MP3 player market. Especially one with a fragile spinning disk.”
          “iPad? What’s the big deal it’s just a giant phone!”

March 12, 2019
  3. Martin Beutling said:

Will be there, too….not as an invited guest but as a tourist visiting SF an the Apple Campus Visitors Center.
    On monday, we planned to make the trip down to Cupertino.

Let‘s see who will be there….

March 12, 2019