Apple headphone jack petition draws 300,715 signatures

Second-guessing Jony Ive.

As I’ve said before, Apple is just crazy enough to ship the next iPhone without a standard 3.5mm audio jack.

But it would pay a price in sales and customer sat. For a taste of what that might be like, here’s an excerpt from SomeOfUs’ save the jack petition, with 300,715 signatures and counting:

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 1.18.39 PM

Apple is about to rip off every one of its customers. Again.

Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste.

This is right out of the Apple corporate playbook. A few years ago it swapped out the original iPod-dock connector with a new one, making countless cords, cables and chargers obsolete.

Apple plays up its green credentials, but the truth is that Apple only invested in renewable energy, and began phasing out toxic chemicals when public pressure became too strong to ignore. People power did it before, and we can do it again.

To see the full petition, click here.

1. Richard Wanderman said:

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, people went nuts when Apple dropped the disk drive and that ended up being a bit ahead of the curve but the right thing to do.

But, I’m the owner (I’ll bet I’m not alone in this comment community) of Bose QC 25 headphones that I use often for travel and I’d like to continue using them.

I have little doubt that if Apple does this they’ll offer an adaptor and that’s fine with me. Of course, if they charge $29 for it I’ll be annoyed but will have to bite the bullet. I’m not moving to Android because of a cable adaptor.

May 31, 2016

Apple would be crazy to ship an iPhone that had no way to accept conventional headphones. But what if this included the Lightning-Headphone adapter? Or even a Bluetooth headphone adapter?

May 31, 2016
  3. George Providaked said:

Floppy, Apple Connector, AppleTalk, CD/DVD, Modem, Ethernet, USB, RGB, Component, Display Port, Parallel SCSI, FireWire 400/800,….. Apple has backtracked a few times with USB speakers (I still have Harmon Sound Sticks and they are great) and earlier iPhone.

If Apple does this to advance the platform, then I am sure there will be adapters. So people will need to grow up a bit. I have rarely found any of these changes to be bad perhaps short term Inconvenient.

It will be important to see where Apple is heading before getting all bent out of shape on a speculation.

May 31, 2016
  4. George Row said:

I have signed SumOfUs petitions in the past. When this one emerged a few months ago it provoked me to email the originators of the petition and tell them that I thought it was ill-founded and a waste of their time and resources.
    Every iPhone comes with a pair of earphones … When I get my iPhone 7, Apple will supply a set suitable for the new iPhone. If the ones (with a jack-plug) that I got with my iPhone 6 have not worn out I will pass them on to whoever gets my iPhone 6.
    No more earphones will become obsolete in this transition than in any other.
    The jack socket is 40 year old technology. If Apple give up on it there will be at least one possibly two types of adapter that will allow the legacy devices to continue to be used.
    As others have said this reminds me of the hue and cry when the launch of the iMac made the floppy disc drive obsolete.
    On that occasion the wailing and gnashing of teeth came from people who assured us that the iMac would be a flop because of the lack of a floppy disc drive! I suspect that the lack of a jack socket will have a similar impact on the iPhone 7. i.e. much sound and fury – no lack of sales!

May 31, 2016
  5. Gianfranco Pedron said:

“This is right out of the Apple corporate playbook. A few years ago it” […introduced the iPhone …] “making countless” […Blackberries, slide phones, flip phones and plain old dumb phones …] “obsolete.” Remember the norm back then, when those devices were simply tossed into a landfill after the contract was up and telcos pushed out “free” upgrades, creating “mountains of electronic trash”? iPhones easily last three times as long and satisfy the needs of two, maybe three owners. Yet, wannabe tree huggers are out in force (… if you can call 300k signatures a “force”) decrying the demise of the ear bud and predicting the end of the world as we know it. Ok, granted, they might be right about that last point. 🙂

Besides, what’s the point of plugging “hi-fi” headphones into a connector powered by the miserable little ( sorry Apple ) built-in DAC? No offence to those who do, but I just don’t get it.

I don’t use an earphone jack, I don’t need an earphone jack, I honestly don’t care if Apple drops it.

Maybe the furore will be quelled when Samsung follows suit. I hope all the people who voted enjoy their prize Samsung Tee shirt before that happens.

May 31, 2016
  6. Jonathan Mackenzie said:

No thinking person can support this position on ecological grounds.

Copper mining is notoriously unfriendly to the environment. Nudging even a small percentage of their hundreds of millions of customers to wireless headphones would result in Apple saving millions and millions of feet in future wiring from being manufactured.

Of course adapters will be available for older jacks, so no current wires need be thrown in the landfill (and again eco-senstive people realize copper is highly recyclable).

It’s as if one tried to say that getting rid of disk drives 20 years ago caused all those disks to pile up in landfills. Sure, that might be bad, until you calculate all the diskettes that were never manufactured because they had been made obsolete.

This doesn’t sound like a concern, it sounds like a specious argument invented to troll Apple.

May 31, 2016